Thursday, November 16, 2006

Moods - who can figure them out?

A rare mid-day post from work! I don't really have much choice if I want to fulfill the post-a-day challenge. I'm heading straight from work to dinner, and then to the concert. As a result, I don't think I'll be home in time to meet the midnight deadline. Nor do I think I'll be much in the mood to write when I get home. My guess is that, once the cat is fed, I'll basically be looking to tumble into the warmth of my sheets.

I woke up in a great mood this morning, for some unknown reason. Maybe because I felt I (finally!) had a good, full-night's slumber. It rained all night, and sometimes there is nothing better than falling asleep while there's a great rain happening outside. (Unless of course you happen to be outside; that's not so good.)Yes, there's still some attendant sadness that I'm waking alone (it's amazing, even a full year out of my relationship, I still miss her physical presence, particularly in the mornings), but my spirits seemed to be rather high when I awoke. I then had a nice meandering walk in to work. It didn't rain (pity, because I like walking in the rain), but it was still a pleasant stroll.

When I walk for a longish length of time, I like to "test" the shuffle function of the ipod, to see whether it can pick the tunes that I'm in the mood to listen to. (Perhaps that's a sad reflection on the state of my life that that's the most exciting part of my day!) Today's choices were excellent. I began the walk with about 15 minutes of NPR Shuffle (which is basically a daily sampling from National Public Radio), and then the songs chosen for me included "Kiss of Life" by Peter Gabriel (I used to dance on the furniture to that song), Lesley Gore's "It's my Party" (a song which I have a whole childhood story to tell, but I just don't have time for it now) ... and now of course I can't remember the rest of the tunes. But they were all great.

In other news - and yes, this is becoming one of those "so this is what's happening in my day" posts that I usually hate to read on other people's blogs - I've been waiting for all kinds of books I have on hold to show up at my local library branch. Part of the problem is that I tend to put holds on new books, and it seems to take the TPL an eternity to process new books. Of course not satisfied with my number of current holds, I decided to add more to the list. If you're at all curious (and really, at this point, why wouldn't you be?), these are the books, CDs and DVDs I'm waiting on:

America's songs : the stories behind the songs of Broadway, Hollywood, and Tin Pan Alley / by Furia, Philip.

The audacity of hope : thoughts on reclaiming the American dream / by Obama, Barack.

The battle of the Five Spot : Ornette Coleman and the New York jazz field / by Lee, David.

The cunning little vixen Das schlaue Füchslein / by Janáček, Leoš.

Fidelio / by Beethoven, Ludwig van

Five leaves left / by Drake, Nick.

The greatest story ever sold : the decline and fall of truth from 9/11 to Katrina / by Rich, Frank.

The immortal game : a history of chess, or, How 32 carved pieces on a board illuminated our understanding of war, art, science, and the human brain / by Shenk, David.

Nixon in China : the week that changed the world / by Macmillan, Margaret Olwen.

Parallel realities / by DeJohnette, Jack.

Size matters : how height affects the health, happiness, and success of boys and the men they become / by Hall, Stephen S.

Smile / by Wilson, Brian.

Standards. Vol. 1 / by Jarrett, Keith.

Sublime honoring the music of Hank Jones / by Keezer, Geoff.

The war room / Trimark Home Video.

I wonder if one's library holds says much about a person?

No comments: